Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Joanne the Machine

Oversight from the Paris to Ancaster!

I arrived at work this week to see on our internal employee, electronic bulletin board a posting which had a newspaper article about Joanne winning gold in her age category for the Paris to Ancaster Race. I felt pretty sheepish when I saw this because I realized the I hadn't even bothered to check her results from the race. I am so used to this woman kicking everybody's butt, including Brad's, that I've become immune to her achievements.

At the risk of sounding like I have some sort of girl crush on this woman, I'm going to dedicate this posting to her. Just to warn people, I have a high potential to exhibit girl crush qualities tonight. I am weak from an after-work ride with Remy combined with a post-ride pasta dinner and a couple of glasses of Mike Weir's Chardonnay. The "Chard" is good but it lacks the buttery flavour I like. However, I am happy to drink in the name of charity.

Back to Jo!



This is a picture of Joanne in the town of Deia on the island of Mallorca, Islas Baleares in June 2005.

My other favourite picture is this one from the same town.



Brad and I left the Villa just before Barry and Jo on a scooter and made it to this town about 15 minutes before these two who rode to Deia.

How we ended up on island with these two is a long story & is impossible to convey.

I first knew Jo from her aerobic class days at the Civic Centre. I never got attached to her because frankly I was always lame at aerobic class. Imagine the fat, beat-deaf, girl trying to step in time with a bunch of other ladies. Best everybody repress those memories.

We crossed paths again at a spin class in the sales centre for the Club One fitness club. A woman at work thought I should try a free spin class. Mary, Lisa and I went to this spin class. I damn near died but liked it. Brad eventually tried it and we joined the club. Jo became our Tuesday & Thursday mornings instructor. I remember going to Ganaraska to check her out doing a solo 24 hr race. At 10:00 am, she had logged more laps than most of the teams. We caught up with her having a smoke and eating M & Ms. Her sheer strength and craziness captured our imagination. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda... we then some how met Barry and Brad ended up doing a couple of 24 hr events with him. And all the while watching Jo kick but at these 24 hr events.

I should also note that Jo also introduced us to the 24hr spin event for Breast Cancer. She was worked with the Gears people to turn this event into the major fund raising event in the City for the Trillum Health Centre.

Jo has also demonstrated that she can also kick but at the Provincial O-cup Mountain Bike events. If I truly loved her I could recite the years and what she won but I know somewhere in there she won her category in the Provincial Championship. The best part really is having a beer after the race and swapping lies.

Where I think the true respect came from year Barry, Jo and Brad went to Quebec to due the Raid Pierre Harvey. This off-road, 3 day race from Chicoutimi to Quebec City was real test of their metal . Joanne came in first in the woman's category - beating all those tiny, little french woman in their own back yard.

Yadda, Yadda, yadda Jo can also road ride and that same year made podium in the Florida Ironman, her first triathelon race. I haven't kept a record of her achievements but they have truly amazing.

Lets just see what's in the photo archives.

Albion O-cup 2005




Jo riding to Gold at the Paris to Ancaster Race



Success doesn't always look sweet!



And don't let her fool you she knows where she's going!



But if you are ever hiding out from German Mullet Man cause you don't want to pay for the scooter damage, she is a good companion.



Jo Congrats on the Paris to Ancaster! Sorry I missed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home